Bank Street, Belfast : site of the former St Mary’s Catholic Hall,
Bank Street, Belfast is a Public thoroughfare thus open to the Public.
It’s design was chosen as a result of an architectural competition. It was used for concerts and dances and even as a School until 1901.
The building was on Bank Lane and had frontage of 11 Feet.
The building was brick built with stone dressings. Brick pilasters with stone bases and capitals stood out in bold supporting segmental arches with key stones surmounted by stone cornices and a perforated parapet.
The building comprised three stories . The ground floor had two entrance halls leading to different parts of the upper stores.
There were two school rooms capable of holding 500 children.
The first storey had a minor hall a library and a reading room.
The second floor was dedicated to a single great hall.
The building was demolished in 1990.
The St Mary’s Catholic Hall at Bank Street, Belfast was the main Nationalist meeting place in the City of Belfast in the first part of the Twentieth Century.
It was used for both Sinn Fein and Nationalist Party meetings in 1921.