The Rt Hon Mr Andrews is depicted in the Painting seated in formal Military Dress, with an elaborately decorated Tunic with Gold buttons and elaborate stitching to both Cuffs and Neck.In Archive
Framed Oil Painting by Frank McKelvey (1895 -1974)
The Rt Hon Mr Andrews is depicted in the Painting seated in formal Military Dress, with an elaborately decorated Tunic with Gold buttons and elaborate stitching to both Cuffs and Neck. Around his Neck he is wearing a large, ornate, Oval shaped Medal, and, upon his Chest, two Ribboned Medals.
John Miller Andrews was born in Comber, County Down, in 1871.
His younger Brother Thomas Andrews was Managing Director of the Harland and Wolff Shipyard, in Belfast, and Died on the RMS Titanic in 1912.
Andrews was Elected as a Member of Parliament, in the House of Commons of Northern Ireland, sitting from 1921, until 1953 (for the County Down constituency from 1921 to 1929, and for the Mid-Down Constituency, from 1929 to 1953).
He was a founding Member of the Ulster Unionist Labour Association, which he Chaired.
He was Appointed Minister of Labour in the Cabinet of the first Northern Ireland Government in 1921.
Upon the death of Lord Craigavon, in 1940, he became Leader of the Ulster Unionist Party, and the Second Prime Minister of Northern Ireland.
He was replaced by Sir Basil Brooke, as Prime Minister, in 1943, and as Leader of the UUP, in 1946.
From 1949 he was the last Parliamentary survivor from the original 1921 Northern Ireland Parliament, and, as such, was recognised as Father of the House.
Throughout his life he was deeply involved in The Orange Order, having held the Positions of Grand Master of County Down, Grand Master of Ireland and Imperial Grand Master of the Grand Orange Council of the World.
Owned by NI Assembly. Image reproduced with the permission of the Northern Ireland Assembly.